Right to Food welcomes Jharkhand govt step to withdraw DBT for food subsidy "following protests"

The Right to Food Campaign, Jharkhand has welcomed the state government’s decision to discontinue the “DBT (direct bank transfer) for food subsidy” experiment in Nagri. It is unfortunate, however, that it took almost a year of popular protests for the government to arrive at this decision, it said.
The DBT pilot caused enormous hardship to the people of Nagri, especially vulnerable groups such as single women and the elderly. Protests began within days of the experiment being launched in early October 2017. In February 2018, a field survey found that 97% of respondents in Nagri were opposed to DBT. Thousands of people walked from Nagri to the Governor’s House in Ranchi on February 26 to demand the reinstatement of the old public distribution system (PDS).
In April, the state government’s own social audit confirmed the results of the February survey. All but two Gram Sabhas in Nagri also passed resolutions against DBT. It is a mystery why it took another four months, after that, for the state government to decide to discontinue the experiment.
Meanwhile, the Right to Food Campaign has appealed to the state government to abstain from any further experiments of this sort. Instead, the public distribution system (PDS) should be further improved and consolidated, e.g. by universalising the PDS in rural areas and including pulses and oil in the PDS basket.

Comments

ALSO READ...

Human rights violations: Jharkhand election official refuses to meet civil society delegation

Narmada water remains contaminated, Gujarat govt "changed norms" to declare it fit to drink

BJP manifesto follows Savarkar's two-nation theory, ignores minorities: MCC

Book on seven interconnected "political" murders, including Haren Pandya, Justice Loya, released

Study documents 34 smart city projects forcibly displacing 17,700 people last year

GDP growth is not the true indicator people's well being: Gujarat activists release manifesto

Saurashtra topcop "threatens" Dalit builder his mustache would be forcibly plucked

Future MPs being told to take a pledge to ensure sufficient budget for rape free India

Call to make education a major issue during 2019 election campaign

Amit Shah earns just Rs 56 lakh annually, owns Rs 40 crore assets, faces four serious charges: Affidavit